I'm a mormon.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day trip #3: Brussels!

So yesterday was the last day of my first weekend extravaganza in Europe and we had a very nice day! Emily and I went into Brussels for the day to explore and see all the sites that I don't get to go see when I go into work every day. And, of course, lots of delicious food was involved! I apologize for this essentially being a food blog-it's rather disgusting but the food here is just so amazing that it needs to be talked about. Last night one of my roommates, Amy, was going through her photos from the trip and I heard from upstairs: "this is disturbing. EVERY picture of me has food in it. I'm either eating food or standing with it in my hand...did I do anything else??...oh look there's me with a waffle....op there I am eating chocolate fondue!" It is unfortunately true. Hopefully the walking and trips to the gym will help counteract it-if not, we should live it up while we can and go on a detox back in America! So worth it.

Anywho, Emily and I got into Brussels about 1 (had to sleep at least ONE day this week) and had lunch in the gorgeous Grand Place. If you haven't noticed by now, every city in Europe has one big beautiful square that everyone sits in and enjoys a cafe latte or a nice meal outside. It's quite lovely. I hadn't gotten a fresh waffle from a restaurant yet and they had some delicious ones on the menu, so I caved and had to get one. Great decision. Then we finished our meal, snapped some pics in the square and went down to see Mannequin Pis, the little peeing boy statue that is very famous in Beligum-they stick him on postcards, dress him up, it's a lot of fun. Growing up I also remember playing with a little knife that had him on the handle that was my grandpa's that he got in WWII in Belgium so there's a personal connection there too. I was going to see that little boy pee no matter what!

On the way, we passed all kinds of cute little shops that sold Belgian lace that they are famous for (it's all over there darn windows), little trinkets/magnets, and rows of chocolate shops with free samples! Yum. But then, then we saw the most wonderful waffle shop in the world. I was floored at the delicious little boats they filled with a warm waffle topped with strawberries, bananas, chocolate, jam, or any topping of your choosing. Emily turned to look at me with a "well we have to get that" grin and I just said I can't! I can't possibly have TWO waffles in the span of an hour! Turns out I can. And I did. I'm ashamed to say it but don't worry I didn't eat dinner AND went running/did P90X abb ribber so I probably worked off, oh, 1/4 of the waffle calories. Fair trade. That thing was the most delicious thing I've ever had though. Waffle paradise. I'm kind of proud to say I had TWO Belgian waffles, in Brussels, in an hour :)

After we got our waffles we were walking along and I see this gray fountain area to my left that barely catches my eye. I turn and after squinting my eyes I can just make out a little boy statue peeing into a fountain. The darn Mannequin Pis that I was so happy to see was about the size of a cabbage patch kid. Talk about anti-climatic. Emily looked at me and said THAT'S what you wanted to see?? We got a good laugh out of it and I still insisted on taking a pic with the little man though and even his larger cartoon counterpart at the waffle place. We spent the rest of our time strolling through the park outside the Royal Palace and enjoying the sunny weather! Great times in Brussels!

View from our lovely lunch spot in Grand Place

Waffle #1 of the hour

(words cannot properly describe the deliciousness so I must leave it blank)

Mannequin Pis and our waffles just chilling...nbd

And there he is ladies and gentlemen! The no-bigger-than-a-cabbage-patch-kid most mischievous little peeing boy in Europe! Good times

Such a wonderful weekend that I'm sure will be matched by Paris next weekend! Five of us are staying in one of the girl's aunt's APARTMENT IN PARIS!! SOOO excited for that. Yay Europe! Love you all! au revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment